Thursday, September 24, 2009

iPhone Security

Perhaps it’s because we think of Apple as the security minded OS – the Mac that is – so we trust the iPhone. I am dumb founded over and over as I study just how insecure information is over the iPhone. Is that Apple’s fault or the problem of securing information over the wireless cell phone network? Things that travel over the air need to be smaller – so am I assuming if I say that Apple has “built it” without worrying about security so that people will buy it, use it, and love it – then they can worry about it’s security. I wanted one as well and now that I have one, I can see why people love it – it is so nice to have “things” available via the Internet over this small device. In a recent DAR meeting, we wanted to read a certain article in the recent DAR magazine, but no one remembered to bring their magazine. I was able to pull it up on the iPhone and read it to the group. It saved us a lot of head aches by being able to do that. So the convenience and access to information is tremendous. Plus it is small and easy to carry around, as opposed to a laptop. Had I brought my laptop, I could have connected to the Internet by tethering my laptop to the iPhone. So now, the iPhone has the ability to act like an air card and connect to the Internet via the AT&T 3G network. If SSL is broken on the iPhone and I am not really getting a secure connection on the iPhone, what happens when I tether my laptop to it and try to create an SSL connection over the 3G network? Is that broken also? Is it possible to tunnel through that 3G network with an encrypted channel and have a secure connection? I still have many questions about how this all works!!

No comments:

Post a Comment